Friday, March 02, 2007

Life is Short - Autobiography as Haiku


My toddler struggles as she spreads the cream cheese on her bagel. Her powerful hands lack an adult’s technical refinement. When I was her age, my grandfather would unhinge his pocket knife’s worn blade and separate the skin from an apple like a sculptor. I’d marvel when presented with the translucent, tantalizing coil. Last week, tethered to the coil of his oxygen tank, his once sturdy hands gestured to me in disbelief. “Why do I feel so weak?” he questioned. I looked down at his hands, in awe that he still had the strength to hold mine.

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now Sophie has been named after your sculptor. Day after day it is difficult to believe that he is not here with us....and yet, we know he is here with us in more ways we can count.

Brad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home